In the first two months of 2022 alone, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) announced that fire incidents have already increased by almost 13% compared to the same period last year. In addition, back in 2020, data from BFP also showed that open flame due to torch, unattended cooking, and electrical connections are the main causes of fire accidents.
Like other threats and risks of loss in any unfortunate events such as natural calamities, impacts due to fire and negligence mishaps, thousands of lives and millions up to billions worth of properties are being lost every year, and the need for a financial tool arises to make financial impacts less severe.
“Damage caused by fire is insurmountable. It affects the lives and livelihood of many Filipinos, regardless of their economic status in life. Unfortunately, our kababayans in the marginalized sector can experience bigger risk and more profound impact. Backed by our commitment for financial inclusion, we also want common Filipinos to be able to afford protection and security as a part of their financial plan. It is crucial that they have access to basic security requirements to cushion the blow of disasters that may happen,” Cebuana Lhuillier CEO and President, Jean Henri Lhuillier said.
As the country observes the annual Fire Prevention Month, here are some tips from the BFP to make sure that your house is safe from fire:
- Unplug items you’re not usingappliances when they are not in use
- Unplugging items when not in use not only reduces your electricity consumption but also cuts down the chances of a fire. Excessive electricity flowing through appliances like TV sets, computers, and a lot more – or a possibility of power surge can be a source of conflagration.
- Make sure to always unplug your appliances when leaving the house.
- Never leave flames or heated appliances unattended
- Always be cautious of any excessive flames that you may use like lighting candles or cooking. Always keep an eye and one step ahead if anything goes wrong. Much better if you can install fire alarms or have fire extinguishers ready, nearby.
- Keep flammable items away from things that can be a source of fire
- Proper storage of different items and supplies can prevent a fire incident. Ensuring that flammable items are stored in the right place and are far away from a source of heat, can save you from a possible accident.
- Too many things cluttered in an area can give fire plenty of space to spread faster. By decluttering certain areas in your home, you’ll be able to minimize the risk of spreading fire, minimize your loss, and save your home in the event of a fire.
- Check your electrical wirings regularly
- Pay close attention to any visible faulty wirings. This can damage your appliances that can eventually lead to a fire incident.
Always remember that prevention is always better than cure. Knowing these fire prevention tips could save you and others from a devastating event.
“This Fire Prevention Month, it is important to raise awareness about fire safety and prevention. Apart from being ready when a fire incident happens, it is also important that common Filipinos have a safety net in case it happened. This is our main mission for our microinsurance product, ProtectMax. This product offers comprehensive coverage at a more reasonable cost,” First Vice President and Group Head of Cebuana Lhuillier Insurance Brokers Inc., Jonathan Batangan mentioned.
To lessen the risk brought by fire and other natural calamities, Cebuana Lhuiller offers ProtectMAX, an affordable microinsurance product designed for individuals aged 7 to 70 years old with Death Benefit, Accident or Sickness Emergency Cash Assistance, Accidental Dismemberment and/or Disablement, Murder, and Unprovoked Assault and Residential Fire Reconstruction cash assistance.
For as low as P50, get a total coverage value of up to P61,000.00. Each certificate is valid for four (4) months from the date of issuance and can be availed up to a maximum of 5 certificates per insured in a year.
To know more about Cebuana Lhuillier ProtectMAX, visit the nearest Cebuana Lhuillier branch or just log on to www.cebuanalhuillier.com. Avail ProtectMAX now in almost 3,000 branches of Cebuana Lhuillier, nationwide.