The 𝗣𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗽𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗔𝘀𝘀𝗼𝗰𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗱𝘃𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗦𝗰𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗧𝗲𝗰𝗵𝗻𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘆 (PhilAAST) has celebrated its 71st Annual National Convention this year with the theme “Accelerating Transformations for Sustainable Development through Science, Technology, and Innovation (STI)”. It was held last Friday, September 9, 2022 physically at Manila Hotel and virtually via Zoom and Facebook Live. PhilAAST Director Dr. Ida Dalmacio hosted the event.
Dr Reynaldo dela Cruz, VP of PhilAAST and concurrent chair of the awards committee led the awarding of eight scientists who have distinguished themselves in their respective fields. This year’s awardees are the following:
- Dr Mario A Aurelio – recipient of the Gregorio Y Zara for Basic Research Award for his valuable contribution in the teaching of structural geology and geodynamics
- Dr Imelda A Ongo – recipient of the Gregorio Y Zara for Applied Research Award for her research, development, and technology innovation focusing on environment, food, and agricultural products.
- Ms Arsenia Sapin – recipient of the Dr. Ceferino Follosco Award for Product and Process Innovation for her outstanding commercial and patented technology, innovation in phenolics based products from mango
- Dr. Nilo T Bugtai – recipient of the Dr. Pablo C Campos Award for Medical Research for being the country’s leading pioneer in health technologies and biomedical devices that involve the application of robotic technology and artificial intelligence that are safe, easy to use, affordable and reliable
- Dr. Fortunato L Cristobal – recipient of the Dr. Lourdes Campos Award for Public Health for his vision of a socially accountable, relevant, and responsive community engaged medical education and health care in Mindanao
- Dr. Rinlee Butch M. Cervera – recipient of the David M. Consunji Award for Engineering Research for undertaking significant research projects in the new frontier of material science and engineering focusing on energy storage and conversion devices, ways to energy applications, and research on green materials
- Dr. Anthony Shun Fung Chiu – recipient of the Dr. Michael Purvis Award for Sustainability Research for his works in the cleaner production, industrial ecology, and sustainable consumption and production more specifically in the introduction of a four stage eco industrial park development model for Asia and the Pacific, nexus between facility level, cleaner production, and beyond the wall eco industrial networking, advocacy to link science, policy and management and the crafting of policy framework for sustainable framework and production
- Dr Maria Luz G Sison – posthumous recipient of the Leads Agri Award for Agricultural Research for her lifelong career in studying insect-crops interaction involving important economic crops thus paving the way for better understanding of infection mechanisms, resistance response of crops and effective pest control
PhilAAST’s 71st Annual Convention is a success. They have created a great hybrid event. Congratulations to PhilAAST and also to the awardees!